ssh times out

Hi

I use ssh to work a lot from home. I find that it times out way too
quickly for comfort. I always thought this was controlled by the
server I was sshing to. I noticed today that from my win98 laptop running
eXceed, a shell on my local server/marquerade box  (which I then used ssh
to get to the secured server) had stayed connected for hours after I left
it. I then noticed if I did the same thing from my 6.0 box, it too didn't
get timed out.

So can anyone tell me how to stop ssh sessions directly from my 6.0 box
from timing out?

Could this have anything to do with going through the ip masquerading box?

i'm using  ssh-1.2.27-5us

thanks
charles