RE: Firewall and IPMASQ

Bjornson, Matt [mailto:mbjornson techies com] wrote:

> I am trying to figure out how to create a script that would
> be run on a
> firewall machine between the DSL "modem" and my private network.  I
am
> admittedly not too bright and am not able to figure how to
> write a ipchains
> script that will
> 1.	Keep out all traffic exccept to my apache webserver and
> to receive
> email ( sendmail) this is a different machine than the firewall box.
> 2.	IP Masquerade all internal machines (3) when they access the
> external internet.
>
> Is there any information or scripts that anyone has used for
> these purposes
> or any books that anyone would suggest?

There are three basic HOW-TO's on this subject that I'm aware of:
IPCHAINS, FIREWALL and MASQUERADING. Of the three, I found the MASQ
script far and away the clearest and easiest for me to understand as a
non-Linux based computer user.

While the other two seem to be accurate, they leave off at strange
points leaving novice questions unanswered or confused. MASQ is not
perfect on this point, but is the best of the lot, IMO.