Debugging with DDD

Hi,
I just installed DDD and get the following message when I try to debug a c++
program.  DD itself says it cannot open GDB.  Any ideas?

 [tgould xxxxxx AgeCalculator]$ ddd a.out
Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
(Annoyed?  Try 'Edit->Preferences->General->Suppress X Warnings'!)
Warning:Actions not found: toggle-overstrike
Warning: Actions not found:toggle-overstrike
Warning: Actions not found: toggle-overstrike
Warning: Actions not found: toggle-overstrike
Warning: Actions not found: toggle-overstrike
Warning: Cannot convert string "XmTOGGLE_INDETERMINATE" to type UnsignedChar
gdb: cannot open /dev/pts/1: Input/output error
gdb: child communiation setup failed