Linux drivers [for USB devices]

I have a USB device called a DATPort which I'd like to find a driver for.
Frankly, though, it won't happen, I'd be shocked if there's one out there. I
have received several e-mails in response to my search from others eager to
find it. So how do I write one? I have not written a driver before, if
someone could point me to some good reference material on how to begin, I'd
appreciate it. Thanks.

-John