Re: ntserver or linux???

At 15:19 12/08/00 +0530, vsnl wrote:

> can i have a linux server with win95
>clients? will it be advantageous to switch over?

In general yes and yes. An appropriate mix of Samba (for file/printer
sharing) Squid (for web/ftp caching), dhcpd (to auto configure your client
machines), a good firewall configuration (using ipchains) and possibly a
mail system is a much better alternative than an NT box. I tend to re-boot
my Linux file server about once every six months (basically whenever I make
major hardware changes or upgrade to a new kernel).

The down side is that (unlike windows) it gives you fairly complete control
over what's happening on your LAN, this is a downside because it means that
you have to do a fair bit of learning in order to set it up, rather than
just having it default to what M$ thinks you should want. The best bit of
advice I can give you on starting out: Read the documentation for the
software I mention above, read the Networking howto's, and for goodness
sake set a DHCP server up on your LAN from the beginning (it may seem a
little complex, but it's not really very difficult and it's MUCH easier to
troubleshoot DHCP than it is to try to fix 20 or 30 separate client
configurations).
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?