Lost network after recompile

I changed very little of the settings for the new 2.2.16 kernel I compiled.
I just got rid of "joystick" and things of a nature that I will not use.
Anyway when I boot now everything comes up OK except eth0.  Module
dependencies check is "OK" at boot.  The module for my nic is in the
/lib/modules/2.2.16-3ktb/net directory.  When I compiled the kernel I
changed the Makefile so the new "2.2.16-3ktb" directory would be created and
not overwrite my old.

ifconfig eth0 shows "error fetching interface information: device not found"

depmod shows "Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.16-3ktb/ for writing" even though
I changed the directory's permissions to all-writable.

modprob -t net showed "Invalid line in /etc/modules.conf" which read:
/lib/modules/2.2.16-3kbrede/
I thought I had found the problem and changed it to:
/lib/modules/2.2.16-3ktb/
but still continued to get the same error.

I consulted the  /etc/modules.conf manpage and commented out the offending
line and added the default lines recommended making sure full paths were
pointed to /lib/modules/2.2.16-3ktb/

Then modprob -t net \* showed :
Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.16-3ktb/
modprobe: Can't locate modual *

Anyway I'm at wits end for the time being.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
kent