Re: rh 7.0 official release..

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Lee Howard wrote:

> Why the major number change, then?  Why not call it RedHat 6.3?
> Calling it RedHat 7.0 seems to lead one to believe that there's a change
> significant enough to warrant the major number progression.  What is that
> change, then?  XFree86 v4 ?

this is the linux version of the arms race.  a number of the major
distributions are right around 7.0.  mandrake.  suse.  so no one
can be perceived as having an outdated product.  hence, as soon as
one distributor moves up a version or release number, everyone else
is soon to follow, major changes or not.

rday

--
"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"