Re: rh 7.0 official release..

>> Especially in the case of XFree86, I don't think that a simple 'rpm -Uvh'
>> will work correctly.  Is there any advice in "upgrading" these servers so
>> that I can maintain current versions?
>
>The normal upgrade function in the installer should work without
>problems...

Not without problems.  Often I will upgrade some package manually by
compiling it from source (since no RPM happens to be available).  And
unless I create the RPM and then install from the RPM, the upgrade will
overwrite the compiled binaries regardless of their version being newer or
not.  RPM creation is troublesome in my limited experience, and I don't
feel like bothering when I can compile it just fine.

For example, I much prefer hand-compiling new kernels rather than using the
RedHat ones.  I've had about a 50% kernel panic rate on kernel RPM upgrades
(especially on RAID systems).  If I compile the kernel by hand, then I can
leave a "backup" version in LILO and avoid the need for a boot disk.

However, I just tried this last night on a test system, the RedHat 6.2
"upgrade" on a 6.1 system that had been updated with the applicable RPMs
from the security advisories and such *AND* had the kernel upgraded from
source to 2.2.16 went well, except that my kernel ended up being
2.2.14-something after.  I'm liable to compile from source at any time for
any package, and the RedHat "upgade" agent doesn't check for this.  So, do
I need to run through the list of things it's going to do and untick those
packages that I have upgraded manually from source?  (I looked for the
kernel listed there, but didn't see it.)

Thanks.
Lee Howard