RE: SSH login (continued by another user)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Mike Burger wrote:

> The SSH daemon needs to run as root, in order to bind itself to the port
> (any port below 1000 needs to be accessed as root).
>
> The initial SSHD will spawn sshd sessions as needed...upon connection.

However, those other spawned processes are also owned by root.  I just
needed to point that out, because your message sort of gives the impression
that it would work like Apache and the spawned processes would be owned
by user nobody, wchich is not the case.

Anyway, Mike is right though.  In order for the daemon to bind to port 22
it needs to have root access to it.

Nitebirdz
Thus spake the master programmer:
"You can demonstrate a program for a corporate
executive, but you can't make him computer literate."