Re: Best backup system/plan for maximum safety - what do y'all do?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Now that we've spent a good deal of time setting up our system of servers, it's occurred to us that we should be dome something more rigorous then once a week manual "cp -a /etc /backup/$DATE"

[snip]

> 8. It needs to have some sort of failover/failproof -ness. Something like it emails 2 other servers whenever the job is complete. Something should run on the other servers that checks for that email every night. If they don't receive the email they can email the admins and/or page their beepers.
>
> 9. (kind of a repeat) We MUST be able to do a quick restore of a whole drive in case of emergency. I've never had to restore a whole drive before, but I've been around people that /thought/ they had a back up system going well, and after a disk failure, they found out the hard way that they didn't really have a way to restore a whole drive. That's no good. What's the best solution - some sort of drive image we can dd back onto the drive? That would take a LOT of space. The idea here is we need a total restore - we don't have time to reinstall Linux form our distro CD then manually copy the files we need out of our backups.
>

> Any and all advise is very much appreciated. I'd really like to hear from people who have working backup systems.
>
> Is there anything I forgot, or does anyone see something wrong with anything I said?

Well, I don't have any magic bullet for you, but I would suggest that
you set up your "critical" boxes (the ones that you won't have time
to reinstall from scratch) using a RAID system, so that if one drive
fails, you can just slap a new one in and rebuild the raid. If you
were to do something like a mirrored raid system (two identical raid
systems) the chances of having EVERYTHING blow up are negligible.
Granted this would be expensive (talking say 6 - 10 disks per
machine...) but it would be nearly foolproof. If you include backups
on CD of your data directories (customer data, source code, etc) on a
regular basis, you should be protected against just about anything
short of an A-bomb! :-)
Just a few ideas for you to consider...
	John