via82cxxx sounds driver hangs system

Hi all,

Trying to set up Red Hat 7 on my new Soyo 7VCA motherboard and started trying
to get the sound to work.

sndconfig detects the following:
Model: VIA Technologies|VT82C686
[Apollo Super AC97/Audio]

and adds the following to /etc/modules.conf
alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx
options sb support=1

When the sound driver is attempted to be loaded, either by sndconfig about to
play the test sound, or on a system reboot, the system hangs solid.

In fact I need to do a linux rescue and comment out the sound driver lines to
be able to boot again.

Anyone had any experience with getting these sound drivers to work or know of
an alternative driver to use?

--
Regards,