eth0 vs eth1 for a single-nic box on internal lan

For an internal MASQed computer, with a single nic
is it ok to configure that nic as  eth1  instead of eth0?

I ask because my main Masqserver linux box uses eth0 for
its connection via dsl to outside,
and hence eth1 for the internal net.

So it seems to me, simply for symmetry if nothing else,
best to keep this internal lan named eth1 on  all computers
on the internal lan.

{Of course i could reconfigure my mainlinuxbox to use
eth1 as the dsl-to-outside  and eth0 as inside,
but I don't want to.)

This isnt a big deal, can configure the internal box(soon to arrive)
as eth0 if necessary,
  but I would like to know  best practices....

I cant seem to find anything about this in the howtos.

regards,
Jack