Re: Server Time sync

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, Jim Ewaka wrote:
> I am trying to sync my server time to a national lab time resource.
> I was looking in Linuxconf, and there is the field to enter "Get date from
> server(s)"
>
> Can anyone tell me if this will only retrieve the date, or will it retrieve
> date and time? If it does retrieve date and time, does anyone know a good
> national lab to connect to?
>
> My goal is the easiest route to get my server to sync with a national time
> lab.
> Any help on the simplest approach to achieve this, and also what time
> servers to connect to, would be greatly appreciated.

As root "rdate -s time.nist.gov" will work. You may also
(occasionally) want to sync the hardware clock with the software
clock by running "hwclock --systohc." If you wanted, you could run
"rdate" from an su console, but you MUST run "hwclock" with the root
path by using "su -" to get the root paths loaded.
	John