Re: samba

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, linda hanigan wrote:

> Hi All
> I am trying to setup samba. I added the following lines to my
> inetd.conf file
> netbios -ssn    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/smbd  smbd
> netbios -ns     dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/nmbd  nmbd
> Then I tried to do a killall -HUP  inetd to restart
> however ps aux shows this so I suspect it is not restarting inetd
> root       311  0.0  0.8  1264  568 ?        S    Jun07   0:00 inetd
> anway when I test it with smbclient I get this error
> Added interface ip=192.168.1.3 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> error connecting to 192.168.1.3:139 (Connection refused)
> Connection to star failed
> Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong.
>                      Thanks
>                         Linda

Linda,
	You don't realy want to run smbd and nmbd from inetd.  They are
normaly stand alone daemons like sendmail or named.  If you did the
install from an RPM, there should be file in /etc/rc.d/init.d to start
it.

	Now, as for sending a SIGHUP to inetd, it will not cause a
change in the ps output - inetd stays running, but it rereads the config
file, so the changes you made take affect.

	Try starting Samba using /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start, and try
your test again.  If you still get errors, first make sure that nmbd and
smbd started ok.  If not, run the tests described in the docs to make
sure you don't have a problem with /etc/smb.conf.  Also check Samba's
logs to see it it is reporting a problem.  If that checks out, double
check your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files.

Mikkel