Re: Serial link not 8-bit clean. - SOLVED

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Zoki wrote:

->On Sun, 28 May 2000, Brian Ashe wrote:
->
->->Hi Zoki,
->->
->->Try this one.
->->
->->http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
->->
->->It should help you take care of your problem.

*** A little update: My ISP's changed the phone number (and his server)
which made it impossible to connect anymore with the set of scripts I used
before.

The log files showed two lines of error messages that I thought important
to the solution of the problem.

	Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
	Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0

The posts concerning this problem to this list where not numerous but
tried to push me in the right direction. It was Brian Ashe's post with the
link above that helped me find the solution. Regrettably it wasn't the
PPP-HOWTO to be found in /usr/doc. Worse, it rather provoked more
questions than it solved.

1/ I connected to the ISP with minicom to find out what the login
procedure was. A standard Login/password pair were asked. The minicom test
also showed that the ISP switched to NT Terminal Server. Terminal like in
terminally ill...? I know, it's a cheap one but it makes a point. Why
would any person with a healthy mind want to switch from SUN servers to a
NT setup? It will always be a question with me.

2/
I noticed that the connection problems arose after the

	Using interface ppp0
	Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0

log messages. This told me it was an authentication problem. I thought at
first the ISP changed of authentication type. I mailed them for some more
info on the subject but our mail correspondence didn't make me any wiser.
It seems the old guy's have left - maybe to a start-up - as the person who
answered me showed clearly to be from the click-o-drome generation:
"Network Neighborhood" being his preferable phrase. His solution was either
to download the newest driver, an *.exe file (!), update my modem -
after all it's an "old" 33600 - or keep on using the old number. Except the
old number was out of use a week later!

3/ I downloaded the HOWTO from http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
by W G. UNRUH and noticed it addressed exactly my problem. Hallelujah,
nicely written English (not C or C++) HOWTO's do exist? And they also seem
to address my problem? It must be my lucky day! This line bought my eye as
it was exactly what was happening:

"Then pppd will start reporting, and will probably give some error
message. One possibility is the message containing the line
        Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
This means that your ISP was not expecting you to negotiate ppp at this
point.

...your system sends out LCP Config Requests and gets no response...
...that you have an Win NT RAS server...
...continue to replace '\d\c' with CLIENT...

Bingo!

4/
The solution was 15 minutes away:

4.1/
This goes in /etc/ppp/options:

lock
crtscts
defaultroute
noauth
noipdefaul

4.2/
The dial-up script in /usr/sbin/on looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
PHONE=[ISP_phone_number]
ACCOUNT=[your_ISP_login]
SPEED=[max_modem_speed]
COMPORT=/dev/ttyS[serial_port_number]
DIALER_SCRIPT=/usr/sbin/on-script

export PHONE

exec /usr/sbin/pppd $COMPORT $SPEED user $ACCOUNT connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

4.3/
The on_script in /usr/sbin/on-script looks like this:

exec /usr/sbin/chat                                     \
        TIMEOUT         3                               \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                      \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'                 \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'    \
        ''              \rAT                            \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATH0                            \
        TIMEOUT         30                              \
        OK              ATDT$PHONE                      \
        CONNECT         CLIENT
                        ^^^^^^ --> for the NT server!!!

And it worked from the start!

The whole problem consisted of the NT server expecting to receive "CLIENT"
before starting the PAP authentication procedure. As nobody seemed to know
or think about that before I hope this will help get others with this kind
of problem out of trouble.

Furthermore, I wouldn't mind if Unruh's HOWTO would end up in the next
Linux distributions as it is one of the few ones really well written.

Cheers!
  _/ Zoran GRBIC       _/  Linux user & advocate  _/
 _/ UNIX Sys Analyst  _/  Both Micro$oft's clean _/
Mailed with Linux & Pine...