ipchains question: which NIC?

A basic ipchains question from a neophyte:
  I am using a two NIC P90 as a masquerade server for a DNS connection.
When I write ipchain rules for Accept, Reject, or Deny how do I, or do I
never, know which NIC I am appending rules for.

  Can I allow access from an internal machine to the masquerade server
while not allowing access for the same protocol from the outside without
refering to ip addresses or by knowing whether the input/output rule
applies to one NIC or the other?

  Hope this doesn't seem to confusing although I admit I am just a bit
confused the more I think about it.

TIA

Bob Hartung