Re: <rant> F****ng fed up with Netscape 4.6x!

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Gustav Schaffter wrote:

->If you're ready to use a 'Java free' version of NetScape maybe you could
->try to just turn off Java in NetScape. It might help.

<snip>

->I've turned off the Java in my Macintosh Netscape Communicator version
->4.61 and it runs much better. I only turn Java on if I need to. Bonus:
->you don't see all the pointless scrolling marques in web sites. I can't
->say I've had problem with Javascript, but it can be turned off too.
->Perhaps try those ideas.

<snip>

*** I wish it would be that simple. Whatever I try - even with Java turned
off (!!) - it chokes on Java sites!?? Go figure.

->I wonder how many lockups occur because of porno sites :-) That's where
->the real f****ng bad java is happening.

<snip>

*** With all the warnings and inscriptions prior to entering a porn site
it's no fun even trying. Come to think of it, the only thing the site
Netscape choked on this morning has in common with a porn site is the
naked thruth it confronts me with each time I check my account. It was my
bankers site I went to...

<snip>

->Java is supposed to be safe, running in a sandbox.  It is supposed to
->NOT take your application, display manager, X server, etc., down
->with it :(  As it now stands, bad Java is a VERY GOOD DOS TOOL
->THAT CAN BE USED AGAINST LINUX USERS!

*** You see, it's Billy Boy trying to get us again. I'm sure he was
behjind it in one way or the other.

Aah well, I guess we have to wait a bit more for Opera and Mozilla. I read
this morning Opera is in "stable" beta. The seemed to think it was as
stable as Netscape is now.

Another thing I read - which might interest the guys who started the Red
Hat i686 pre-compiled rpm's project - is the announcement in a French
magazine about the existense of the project and with the URL of the rpm's.
The guy's are going to become world famous!!

Cheers!
  _/ Zoran GRBIC       _/  zoki admin magic fr _/  Linux advocate   _/
 _/ UNIX Sys Analyst  _/  Paris, FRANCE       _/  Micro$oft clean  _/
Mailed with Linux & Pine...