How to find value of PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX

In reading the README of the ibm jdk118 I find this information:

begin snip ------------------------------------------
If the number of Java threads exceeds the maximum number of processes
allowed,
    your program might get an error message, a SIGSEGV error, or simply
    hang.

    The maximum number of threads available is determined by the minimum
of:

      -  The user processes setting (ulimit -u) in
         /etc/security/limits.conf

      -  The limit MAX_TASKS_PER_USER defined in
         /usr/include/linux/tasks.h  (change requires Linux kernel to be
         recompiled)

      -  The limit PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX defined in libpthreads.so
         (change requires Linux kernel to be recompiled)
----------------------------------------------------------------------end
snip

My question is how do I find what values are compiled into the kernel.
I looked around in /proc but nothing jumped out at me.

I am getting SIGSEGV errors occationally and dirlled into the libs
enough to knowthat it has something to do with pthreads (whatever the
hell that is <guess> processthreads </guess>)) all lines in
/etc/security/limits.conf are commented out assumming that # at the
beginning of the line denotes a comment.

I could use some help here.

Bret