Re: Good Laptop for Linux

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 09:45:12AM -0600, Erik de Groot wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >  I'm thinking of buying an older laptop to install Linux on.  Around 120Mhz
> > or 150Mhz should be good.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which would
> > be best or maybe horror stories of a particular make that I should stay away
>
> > from?  I don't want to spend $400 on something and get stuck with having to
>
> >  run Windows.  Any advice would help.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Pat
> >

> If you are looking at one of the better know brands (IBM, Compaq, Toshiba...)
I have been running RHL on a Toshiba 740cdt for about 2 years. It has
P166 processor, 80 MB Ram, 3GB disk, Megahertz pcmcia network card,
a 28.8kbps built in modem, build it cdrom, external floppy drive.

Started with RHL 5.2, now have 6.1 on it.  Stock kernel, etc.  X required
1 little tweak on 6.0 and 6.2 to run in 1024x768.  I did have to change
the IRQ for modem cause it conflicted with the network card.  It came
with NT 4 installed.   I had to use NT to change the IRQ.  I have since
forgotten the NT password so cannot use that if i wanted to, which i dont.

I get about 2 hours run time on a battery charge.

paul
--
          / C h i p p e w a     \\ // alley  Technical  College /