console login and telnet probs..

Hello:

Can anyone tell me where I should look for why my machine when I telnet to
it or login as my own user account would give me this:

I have no name! mydomain myusername#

What could be wrong or has my system been compromised in some way. If I try
to run Pine from the above prompt I get this

Who are you? Unable to run Pine.
User not known.

Any ideas?? I am hoping it something simple with pam.d but not sure as no
root user has made any changes in the week or so. I can still login as root
and su to root from the above and also run pine from root. Wierd.....

Thanks In Advance....

Eddie Strohmier