Re: Backup

I wrote:
#I'd also recommend against backing up to a disk drive in the same server,
#unless the hard disk happens to be of the removable kind (Zip, Jaz, etc.)

You replied:
why?  I'm still unsure what I'm gonna buy still waiting for that lto.org tape
drives to come out  100GB native capacity.

Well it kind of defeats the purpose of having a backup if the backup destination is on the same server. Ideally backup media should be separate from the server (tape, CD-ROM, removable media of some kind) and taken off-site. If the server has RAID that will help protect against disk failure but what about if the server goes and takes all your disk drives with it? (Power surge from a lightning strike.) What about equipment theft or disaster recovery? (Fire, earthquake, etc.) Depending on the "value" of your data, complete loss may be no big deal but I'd wager that's not the case or you wouldn't be backing it up to begin with.

But if I buy a snap server 4000 with
120GB and with Raid5 84 GB available. Won't it take like 10 hours or so to do a
full weekly backup if I shoot it across the LAN?

Backing up across a LAN works, but yes, it's generally a slow process. How much data to you anticipate backing up? How much of it is user data and how much is the operating system? I'm using an HP DAT40i (DDS-4) tape drive here, which has 20Gb capacity (uncompressed). HP also makes an autoloader version that holds 5 DDS-4 tapes and 1 cleaning cartridge, so uncompressed capacity should be around 100Gb, more if you use software compression (although it'll take longer, but likely not as long as across the LAN). You should be able to use the 6th slot for an additional tape instead of the cleaning cartridge, bringing capacity to 120Gb uncompressed. I don't know for sure if the autoloader is compatible with Linux, but I've found the folks at HP to be pretty helpful. The actual tape drive itself should be ok, but I'd want to make sure tapes could be loaded/unloaded automatically during a full backup *and* be able to switch tapes at will for daily backups if desired (possibly as part of a shell script scheduled by cron). Then again there's also DLT tape drives and other large capacity drives.

You also mentioned a snap server - are you considering using that to backup another server's data? If so you might consider something a little less network intensive, like periodic data synchronization using rsync or other utility. Yes, it'll be ugly the first time you run the sync, but after that it'll go faster because only files that have changed will be copied. I use rsync to keep a couple of CD-ROM databases updated between 2 servers and it works great. However this still leaves you with the backup copy on-site.

I'm still going crazy with backup software...but I think I might have found a
winner....novastar has a linux backup software just came out May 8th and I found
it easy to use and it worked pretty good. But still have a month or more to
evaluate different backup software.

I'm not familiar with novastar. We've been using BRU ( http://www.bru.com ) here for a couple of years and I've been happy with it. Runs from the CLI (which I use), has a GUI interface and is pretty easy to schedule a backup job with cron.

-HTH

-Eric

Eric Sisler Library Computer Technician Westminster Public Library Westminster, CO, USA esisler westminster lib co us

Linux - don't fear the Penguin.
Want to know what we use Linux for?
Visit http://gromit.westminster.lib.co.us/linux