Re: Network and booting

Dave wrote:

> Ok, I added the /etc/sysconfig info and the network info but the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is where I think I went wrong.
> There was only a ifcfg-lo for the local info so I went ahead and added the
> file with the info according to the "how to" page and then I made the file
> executable, is the correct, or is that file already suppose to be there?
> After adding the file I did a "ifup eth0" and it hung tring to find the
> adapter which I know works with ifconfig, so it must be a mistake in the
> script.
>
> I'll go ahead print the files here so you can see and I haven't even tried
> to get the second network adapter working yet which is eth1.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> NETWORKING=YES
> HOSTNAME="me.mydomain.com"
> DOMAINNAME="me.com"
> GATEWAY="my dls router"
> GATEWAYDEV=eth1
>
> Now for the script I created. etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> DEVICE="eth0"
> IPADDR="10.10.10.254"
> NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
> NETWORK="10.10.10.0
> BROADCAST="10.10.10.255"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> BOOTPROTO="bootp"
>
> now that I have looked in there after running the script, linux addes about
> 20 lines  starting with IPX, weird.
>
> Well, looks like I am close, but I think one of the files above is the
> culprit.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Dave

Dave -
my guess is the BOOTPROTO="bootp" is the culprit.  I bet that the kernel is
doing a bootp call and cannot find a bootp server anywhere.

Try changing that line to :

BOOTPROTO="none"

I am also assuming that the domainname is really:
mydomain.com and not me.com
I don't think this will keep the interface from coming up anyway.

HTH

Bret