Re: Help with SCSI-related system lockups?

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Michael Jinks wrote:

> I recently added an Adaptec 19160 Ultra-160 SCSI controller, a Quantum
> Atlas hard drive
> Nov 15 00:31:30 gaea kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Read Capacity 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00
> Nov 15 00:31:30 gaea kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out -
> resetting

Yeah, I had problems like this with an Atlas III.  Step #1 : upgrade the
firmware in the drive.  See if that fixes it for you.

> ...and so forth.  Within a few seconds, the system just stops
> completely; when I got home today, my screensaver was stuck and the
> system would only respond to a cold reboot.

Mine too, and if I hit the reset switch, the SCSI BIOS usually wouldn't
detect the drive until I powered down for a reboot.  This was what led me
to believe that the firmware was at fault.

> The hard drive is the 0:5:0 device, but I've also had this happen when
> 0:6:0 (the CD burner) was being indicated.  The Adaptec 19160 is a
> single-bus controller, but the two devices are on different physical
> cables

OK, someone call me on this if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't do
that.  If you need a narrow scsi ribbon for the CD-R, then get a cheap
narrow SCSI controller.  I've had experience with systems locking up using
BT-950 controllers and devices on the internal and external interfaces.
It worked fine when the external interface wasn't connected to anything.
At least remove the CD-R for a while and see if it still locks up.