Re: login problem

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Gerd Zemella wrote:

> I have a problem to get a login shell on a redhat 6.0 server.
> yesterday someone removed shadow passwords and md5. today I tried to
> login from remote. I see only thats the right server but no
> loginprompt. I telefoned with a stuff of the firm but he has also no
> loginprompt. only ftp works. has anyone an idea how to solve such a
> problem?
> thanks a lot
> Gerd

It sounds like someone cracked the box.   Your best bet is to reboot in
the single user mode.  Backup any important date, reformat the hard drive,
and install 6.2, and all the updates.  There is no telling what else has
been changed.  But it takes root access to remove shadow passwords and
md5!

Mikkel