Re: RH 7.0 Nightmare: Permedia2 & other stories.

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" wrote:

> Bad analogy - if the GCC problem is as has been discribed, then every
> program in 7.0 will have to be recompiled if you want to use the next
> official release of GCC.  In other words, not only are the binaries in 7.0
> not compatable with any other distribution of Linux, including earlyer,
> but it looks like they will not be compatable with any distribution that
> uses stable releases of GCC.

You should re-read the warning issued by the GCC steering committee. I
believe the emphasis was on "not supported". The warning also points out
that while most or all C and Fortran programs will be fine, the real
problem is with C++ programs that use shared libraries that have C++
mangled identifiers. I wouldn't consider depending on shared libraries
with mangled C++ identifiers to be good practice in any case,
personally.

> One other problem - any comericial software will need a seperate version
> for 7.0, or there will need to be a package so you can run programs
> compiled with the stable version of gcc on 7.0.  Not one of Red Hat's
> smartest moves.

I have been running several commercial programs on RH 7.0 without
incident. The one program that doesn't run is Netscape 6PR3, but I guess
that is because it is a PR3.

I'm not sure that RedHat made the right choice here, but there is one
important thing to consider: the advantage of an open source operating
system is that you can re-compile stuff yourself. Binary compatability
across Linux distributions is supposed to be largely irrelevant.
Commercial vendors run the risk of binary incompatibility with
closed-source applications for a multitude of reasons beyond this latest
RH7 gcc snafu. (As a case in point I submit StarOffice 5.0, which used
undocumented glibc calls and improper linking which caused massive
problems across minor version differences.) It is part of the penalty of
trying to run their business model in our open source world -- and it
helps level the playing field between commercial and free applications.

thornton