Re: Comparison: AIX - RH

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Rick Warner wrote:

> Argghh.   AIX has in its underpinnings a BSD heritage, but for the most
> part that is well masked.  The kernel is still BSD for the most part.  But
> the OS is quite different from any other *NIX flavor.  I tell Sysadmins
> who work for me that the only way to administer AIX is to remember SMIT,
> IBM's interface tool.  Things are just done so differently; one way to
> learn commands is to use SMIT and then ask it the command line equivalent.
>
> - rick warner
>

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Robert Friberg wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm teaching unix basics for beginners next week.
> > We will most likely be working with RH6.x during the
> > course, but at their company they use AIX. Is there any
> > other Linux that is more similar to AIX than RH ?

but he's asking about teaching unix *basics*, not admin.  i teach
intro unix to an aix-heavy company, and i use red hat as the
training vehicle.  all i do is load on a korn shell, and for the
most part, i'm good to go.  not that big a deal, and they barely
notice the difference.

rday

p.s.  also, notice that linux also has a bsd-flavor to a number of
the commands, so the users should feel right at home.