Re: How do I shut down these services

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 05:20:19PM -0500, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> >Get rid of any NFS server services running, but I think it also depends
> >on if the kernel's enabled with NFS server capabilities.  So it might
> >take a kernel re-compile to get rid of that.
>
> Does anyone know this for sure? Recompiling on this server is one thing I
> DON'T want to do (it's on a remote server 100 miles away)

Er... if knfsd requires a recompile in order to shut it off, somebody somewhere
has definitely screwed up.

This from Documentation/knfsd.txt for kernel version 2.2.14, YMMV:

"
You have to install the NFS
service scripts. There are 2 in etc/redhat provided for RedHat 6.x.
They are tested on RedHat 6.1.
"

To me, this suggests that (as it should be) the kernel nfs server process is
controlled by some initialization scripts, just like any other daemon
process.  Try doing this as root:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs stop

...and then re-scan; if nfs is still on the open ports list, well I'm wrong.

> Um, I'm using inited for ftp (and until I get ssh working, for telnet) so
> are you saying inetd needs auth? Or no. Does auth have anything to do with PAM?

Not directly.

Try having a look at the identd(8) man page for an explanation of what it
does.  You may want to leave it on.

--
Michael Jinks, IB
Systems Administrator, CCCP