Re: scsi timeout?

stevenma uc shu edu wrote:

Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this.  Can you tell me if this is a
sign of a bad HD?

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 14448542, scsi0, channel 0,
id 0, lun 0 Read (10) 00 00 05 ed 25 00 00 02 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 14947343, scsi0, channel 0,
id 0, lun 0 Read (10) 00 01 06 09 5c 00 00 80 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 14947344, scsi0, channel 0,
id 0, lun 0 Read (10) 00 01 06 09 dc 00 00 80 00

I'm not exactly sure what this is telling me apart from the obvious SCSI
timeout.  The PID #'s are HUGE also, certainly no pid's that high on this
system.  It's an IBM Netfinity 5000 running Redhat Linux 6.1 + All
Patches.  This problem just started recently, it doesn't appear to affect
much of anything apart from sometimes when I SSH in or login on the
console it takes a LONG time for the actual prompt to show up.  Any ideas?

Sounds like drive failure is a possibility. I'm not sure if it'll tell you anything helpful or not, but has fsck been run on the drive's partitions lately? You might also want to check all connections & termination before replacing the drive. Has anything else changed on the server recently?

-Eric

Eric Sisler Library Computer Technician Westminster Public Library Westminster, CO, USA esisler westminster lib co us

Linux - don't fear the Penguin.
Want to know what we use Linux for?
Visit http://gromit.westminster.lib.co.us/linux