RE: Linking X -> console was [Starting X in a second console (SOLVED) ]

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Jamin Collins wrote:

> Exactly, does someone here know of a way to change this?  Other than
> changing the run level and manually starting X from a text console?
>
> Jamin W. Collins

I haven't tried this, but you can try editing /etc/X11/prefdm.  Find the
section:

if [ -n "$preferred" ] && which $preferred >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        exec `which $preferred` $*
fi

Chang it to:

if [ -n "$preferred" ] && which $preferred >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        exec `which $preferred` $* 2> /dev/tty8
fi

This may put all the error messages on VC 8.

Remember - I have not tested this - let me know if it works.
Mikkel