Re: Finding open ports

> > My box is behind a firewall and want to ssh into it.  I have asked the
> > admin to open the port for me, but he's not moving as fast as I would
> > like and I hate to get too pushy about it.
> >
> > So, I am thinking that all I need to do is find an open port and put
> > this port into my sshd_config file.
> [snip]
> > Any thoughts?  Thanks
>
> Blake,
> Does your machine have a routable address, or is it on an internal
> network? If you are on an internal network with an non-routable address,
> having the port opened won't help. You'll also need to have the
> connection forwarded to your machine.

Well, these are all words that I wish I knew, but I don't.  I'm slowly
learning though.

I am running apache, and the admin has opened port 80, so my web pages are
viewable off site.  Also, from other computers that are also behind the
firewall, I can hit my box.  So, I assume if the right port was open, I
would be able to ssh into my box from off site.

Any explainations would be appreciated.

thanks,
blake