Re: RAID question

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 04:24, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Is RH7.2 coming with software RAID

Yes.  Red Hat Linux has offered software RAID for a few years.

> Can I make 4 (four) partitions in the same hard disc and intall RAID 0 and
> RAID 1 to it.  Where can I find relevant documentation ?

RAID 0 on the same disk is not recommended since you'll just be causing
a lot of extra head movement for negative gain.  Ditto with RAID 1 -
although you might be able to recover your data if you have a bad spot
on the media, if the head crashes, you're still out of luck.  Since all
writes are now going to have to be doubled, you'll take a massive
performance hit.  If you were to use 2 drives, you'd be able to
parallelize the writes.

The Red Hat Linux 7.2 Installation Guide tells you how to set it up at
install time.  Worked fine for me right out of the box.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts ewilts org