Re: RAID question

Hi, Ed Wilts,

Lot of thanks for your information.

I shall sum up all advices sent to me from those guys on the list first in parallel penetrating relevant documentation before finalizing my way to go. RAID 0, RAID 1, or RAID 5 , etc.?

My plan is to build a Web Server using Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc. to experience its function. I hesitate whether I should use RAID simultaneously at start. Because I have been away from Linux for sometime, almost 2 years and coming back recently. Therefore I have to refresh my technical memory on all commands, some of them having be changed or replaced which keeps me quite busy.

Hardware is not a problem to me. I am in electronic industry manufacturing PSTN phones, having certain knowledge on uC (micro-controller).

One additional question I expect to ask, in my case, whether it is advisable to apply RAID to build the Web Server simultaneously because the configuration of Apache, PHP, MySQL will keep me quite busy (I did it once in 2 years ago). Is RAID difficult to set up ? Which RAID, RAID 0+1, RAID 5, etc. shall be more applicable to my case ?

Thanks in advance.

B.R.
Stephen

At 12:04 PM 12/17/2001 -0600, you wrote:
On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:32:20AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

> I am using 2th Max 8KHA motherboard. Unfortunately it has only one FDD1
> channel for ATA100 hard disc. Additionally it has 2 ATA33 IDE channels
> (altogether 3 channels). If I add an ATA100 controller then I shall have 3
> ATA100 channels, having a waste (5 channels). Can TX2 ATA100 matches FDD1
> in speed ?

I have no idea how your existing ATA100 controller compares to the TX2.  You
could check the specs at Promise's web site or send them e-mail if you really
want to know.

> Could I use 2 hard discs having different specification and capacity ?

Probably. I haven't checked Linux's RAID implementation in detail, so I can't
confirm what happens if you mix and fast and slow drive. You may limit your-
self to the slowest drive speed. As for capacity, the software implemenation
is by partition so you have to make sure that the 2 partitions you're
mirroring are the same size.

> Could you please explain a little bid in detail, to mirror first few
> partitions on each hard disc ?  How many hard disc you install ?   4 hard
> discs to achieve RAID 0 + 1 ?

I installed 2 hard disks, partitioned each and used RAID-1 for /, /boot, /usr,
/home, and /var. I added swap partitions that aren't mirrored, and then
had 2 spare 10GB partitions on each drive. I don't use RAID-0 - in most cases,
you don't need (nor want) this.

-- Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA mailto:ewilts ewilts org