Re: Local network : sharing internet cable connection

> I'd strongly suggest getting a printserver; It relieves a lot of
headaches.
>     -You no longer have to have a server machine running to use the
printer
>     -It doesn't affect the performance of the server machine
>     -Printservers are as cheap as switches.
>     -They interact well with both Windoze and Linux
>
> The only thing you _may_ lose,  if you have it now, is interaction with
> the printer that tells you the state of the ink cartridges, drum, etc.
> Big deal.  I've been running the NetGear PS110 for over a year now,
> supporting Linux and Win9x/NT/2k  (all at once).

I have a combination hub/printserver (NetGear PS104).  It's been a piece of
crap and I finally took it out of my network and it's sitting on a shelf.
Not only do you lose all the status information, killing a print job is next
to impossible.  The job's in the printserver which means you have to power
down the PS104 to kill it.  I wasted a lot of paper and ink with a confused
printer/printserver/host with that sucker.  I connected the printer to my
Linux system and all hosts print fine with it.  It's now sitting on my web
server which is always up anyways.  It's also connected via USB instead of
parallel and is a *lot* faster.

    .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts