From: Nitebirdz <nitebirdz uswest net>
To: <redhat-list redhat com>
Subject: Re: What is NMB ?
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:49:43 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Oussama Dbaibo wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:29:56 -0000
> From: Oussama Dbaibo <ob40rj hotmail com>
> To: redhat-list redhat com
> Subject: What is NMB ?
>
> From: "Oussama Dbaibo" <ob40rj hotmail com>
>
> Subject: What is "NMB" ?
> Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:54:41 -0000
>
> Hello every body
>
> Well I am only 5 months with RHL 6.2 progressing fine.
> I know that SMB stands for "SAMBA" server.
> At shutdown 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' time I am getting :- NMB failuer
> At boot time all is ok [ every thing ].
> By the way I have only one machine with 4 users on it "loopback" 127.0.0.1
> ,,,all working
> fine with KDE and Gnome and mail between each other.
> So...
> What is NMB?
>
> I could not find any thing in my reference book"The complete reference of
> RHL 6.2" by Richard Peterson. Is this book enough for me?
> Thx
> Oussama: ob40rj hotmail com

NMB is the NetBIOS name resolution protocol. When you configure your
system for Samba, it will run both smbd and nmbd daemons. One of them (smbd)
will take care of the file transfer, etc., while the other (nmbd) will take
care of the NetBIOS name resolution thus making it possible for the hosts
to show up in your "Network Neighborhood" in the Windows boxes.

I've seen this problem before when the Linux or UNIX system is the only
one in the network providing Samba services and yet the /etc/smb.conf file
does not specify that this is the domain master (domain master = yes).  In
those cases, the Linux box keeps looking around for a master that doesn't
exist and it usually causes these problems.

Perhaps there are other instances where the error message could show up
(incorrect workgroup information, I guess, would be another one), but
I've definitely seen it in the situation I described here.