permanent sendmail fail

File /etc/resolv.conf has 0 bytes, is empty. How could I configure it?. Step
by step, please. It is not clear for me with:
search your.isp.com   (is it my ISP http address or smtp or what?)
nameserver 192.168.1.2
nameserver 192.168.1.3
nameserver 10.0.0.2   Is it meant as examples only?

Why can not sendmail detect my ISP automatically, when it is not problem
with mail receiving?

thanks Zbynek