Re: [OT] Questions about editing files with sed and awk

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Vidiot wrote:

> >So my question is, is there a way to /edit/ a file with sed (or awk) directly, without first redirecting it to a tmp file and then catting the tmp file back into the original?
> >Jonathan Wilson
>
> The simple, and only, answer is no.  You must go to a temporary file.
> Think about what is happening and you'll understand why you can't.

the original poster should *really* make an attempt to get over his
distaste for perl, since you can do this with perl on the command
line without explicitly using temporary files.

rday

--
Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies, Durham NC

"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"