Re: XFree86 configuration (my own experience with Laptops)

I don't have the answer to your question, but here is what I have found.

Are you installing from scratch? I just can't install RH7.x XFree86 from
the disk on my laptop. I have to install RH6.2 in text mode, fine tune
XF86Config and then *upgrade* to 7.0. If I try to run Xconfigurator after
the upgrade, config files get ruined forever, and I have to reinstall 6.2,
fine tune and upgrade to 7.0 again. Another "interesting fact": when I
have tried to replace lines in the configuration file of XF86Config-4 with
the lines of older XFree, it does not work.

I *guess* the problem is in the monitor configuration rather than in the
video card configuration. When I connect an external monitor to my laptop,
RH 7.0 installation (even from scratch) starts in graphical mode and
everything goes smooth. Problem: fonts. When I change video back to LCD
screen, it works, but fonts are just ugly (although they look great on the
external monitor).

BTW, my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 205 CDS. If any one has any tip to
make it work with X (or the XF86Config file to make it work with the new
XFree) please let me know.

I have to reinstall today, and I am pretty sure there must be a better way
to do it.

TIA, and best regards,

-Manuel.