Kernel panic question

I'm trying to do a cdrom install on a Toshiba 305cds laptop (my first
attempt at a laptop) and I get the message while it's trying to boot:

Kernel panic:  VFS:  unable to mount root fs on 08:41

just before that it says to enter the proper parameters at the boot prompt
like boot=, does anybody have an idea what this is?  I couldn't get it to
boot from the cd so I made a boot disk.  I know this message has something
to do with the major and minor numbers but I don't know what it needs to
find it right.

Tnx,
Kerry Miller