Boot on SCSI drive

Hey all,

I had Zoot installed on a system with a Tekram DC-390U3W controller
which was working perfectly.
I then realized that the partitions were set up wrong (I know, I know)
and decided that it would be easier to re-install the whole thing,
partionning during the install.

I swapped the Tekram for an Adaptec 2940UW, installed Zoot again
and upgraded to 2.2.19 . I then edited /etc/modules.conf to use
the sym53c8xx as the SCSI module, make a new initrd and edited
/etc/lilo.conf to make a new entry. Stopped the system, re-installed
the Tekram card and booted again. When I get to the Lilo prompt,
it simply shows an 'L' followed by strings of 2 zeros, like this:

L 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...

and never stops.
Anybody know where this is coming from?
The system works fine with the adaptec card but the performance hit
is too important.

Emmanuel