samba multiple ip nwk qn

Hi,

I have a RH machine on a network  a.b.c.0 and a number of other RH
machines on w.x.y.0 all running samba all under the same workgroup.

the NT and W9x machines on network w.x.y.0 can see the machine on a.b.c.0
(in the workgroup) but cannot access it.  .... a cannot connect error ..
check spelling (or similar remark occurs)  - I should say that they
have no difficulty in connecting to the RH boxes on w.z.y.0 and similar
smb.conf files are used across all machines.

I can ftp and telnet to the machine on a.b.c.0 from anywhere on w.x.y.0
but am NO running WINS.  Is WINS necessary for a cross-netowrk
ip samba connection

cheers, Kyle Hargraves