Re: alternatives to Netscape

At 6/19/01 09:39 PM -0500, you wrote:
Thomas Ribbrock wrote:

I think this boils down to the old "free (as in beer)" vs. "free (as in
speech)"...:-)

I can't stand it any longer. I have been using linux for three or four years and a subscriber to several lists but have never seen anyone explain the free as in beer references. What does this mean?

Bret

Free as in beer = given away, costs $0.00, gratis

Free as in speech = liberty, freedom

One has nothing to do with the other. You can give away free things, but you cannot give away freedom. You can drink beer with liberty and freedom even if you pay for it (thus, "drinking freely" has nothing to do with "drinking for free.")

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz gold guate net