RE: Linux as MS/Mac Fileserver?

Ashley,

Depending on your storage needs, I would look at building a storage server
array or Network Appliance Filer.

As for IDE or SCSI, determine the throughput speed you need. IDE is a great
technology for desktop systems where speed is important but limited to 1
user. SCSI shines in its higher throughput when it has to handle multiple
request at the same time.

IDE:

If IDE is you need, look at some of the NAS boxes available from Snap
(Quantum) and Maxtor. The Snap Appliances 4100 has a 300 gig model for
$4,500 (210gig usable with Raid 5)
http://www.buysnapappliances.com/searchresults.asp?search_id=8 . There are
several other models that are smaller if that is your need.

SCSI: Building your own "Network Attached Server w/ Storage"

The storage server array should be from a name brand mfg with a support
contract. Dell and IBM have some excellent hardware that has Linux drivers.
Don't use software raid. Invest in a Raid card with at least 16mb of memory
if not much more. I most often utilize Raid 5 for my storage array and when
it is done at the hardware level (utilizing the Raid Card) the entire array
appears as one "drive" to the OS keeping things nice and simple.

If you are moving large files over the network, I would look at adding a
multi port network card (utilizing FastEtherChannel or Teaming) (Intel makes
a nice one) that will allow you to scale to 4 100MB connections to 800mb
Full Duplex or add a single 1 Gig card if you current switch support either
technology.

---
For ease of use, high performance SCSI storage, look at Network Appliances
Filers. Once you get over the cost factor, the performance and reliability
are superb. You won't have to worry about drive failures as the box "phones
home" to notify NetApp that a drive has failed and they will come out to
replace it. This is what Yahoo uses for storage for their website. They have
several Terabytes running on NetApp Filers and according to the NetApp sales
rep that pitched me the product, Yahoo is very happy with them.

As always, do your homework and evaluate before you buy. The Snap NAS box
should be easy to test as its an off the shelf product with a 30 day return
warranty. If your interested in the NetApp Filer, call them and they will
bring one out for you to test for 15-45 days if needed.

- David