Re: scp usage

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, VeKTeReX wrote:

> I looked at the man pages, i searched the web, i found
> lots of info but none of it made any damn sense to me.
> Call me a f**kin moron or whatever.  I guess i need it
> explained in extreme layman's terms.

It should work just as stated in the man pages. Explain what types of
problems you are having and we can probably help out.

Using the verbose flag usually makes protocol errors very clear.

> I just need to know how to do basic file transfers
> between boxes running ssh.  Are there any sftp clients
> for Linux or is the scp command just a command line
> version of sftp?

Scp and sftp are different beasts. OpenSSH does include sftp, but you will
need to make sure it is on both clint and server.

When in doubt, you can always try:

  ssh somehost "cat /some/file" > file

thornton