Re: Dual Boot System Problem

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 07:03:11PM -0700, Mohd Ilyas wrote:
> I'm a newbies in Linux but not in Unix. I have a
> question to ask. My PC (Dell Optiplex GX110, Pentium
> III Processor)has 2 hard disks. The primary h/disk
> running Windows 98 Second Edition and the second one
> running RedHat Version 6.0. My question is:-
>
> How I want to make dual boot system (Windows 98 & RH)?
> >From what I understand that Windows 98 write over the
> Master Boot Record MBR). At the moment I boot the LILO
> from Diskette (Drive A). Windows 98 is still my
> primary boot system.

There is probably more than one way to do this. The way I've done
it with Linux of the second IDe drive and Win95 on the first, is
simply to configure LILO to load on the boot sector of HDA, and
list Windows as one stanza and Linux as another. Here's an excerpt
from /etc/lilo.conf:

	boot=/dev/hda
	map=/boot/map
	install=/boot/boot.b
	prompt
	timeout=200
	linear
	default=linux

	image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
		label=linux
		read-only
		root=/dev/hda5
	other=/dev/hda1
		label=w95
		table=/dev/hda
	other=/dev/hdb1
		label=dos
		table=/dev/hdb
		map-drive = 0x80
		to = 0x81
		map-drive = 0x81
		to = 0x80

As you can see, right now Linux boots from hda5, but it USED to boot
from hdb<somthing or other, I can't recall right now> and the only
thing that changed here was the one lien that specified the root device.

This also boots Windows 95 and DOS 6.22. W95 boots from  hda, and dos
from hdb. Note the "map-drive" "to" command pairs here, that cause the
first and second hard drives to be logically swapped before the DOS boot,
so DOS still thinks its on C:.
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex fcshome stoneham ma us ----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked