Parallel port going offline.

We have a problem with the parallel port going offline.  It is remedied by
turning the printer off and on but it is causing a problem.  I've searched
what documentation I could find and have tried:

1. changing from polling to interrupt driven and specifying irq=7 io=378.
2. changing cables - although I'm not certain that any of the cables were
bi-directional.
3. changing the port from auto to 378 in the bios.

The printer is an Okidata Microline 393 dot matrix.
Redhat 6.2.

dmesg/messages output:
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2,EPP]
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
lp0 off-line

Any help would be greatly appreciated.