fdisk help please

Hi,
I have added an old Hdd on /dev/sdb that has 5 partitions in its table.
I know how to mount it using /etc/fstab and mount -a

But how do I erase the current 5 partitions into one linux partition first?

I tried fdisk and then typing "d", deleted all the partitions one at a time.
Then I typed "n" for new partition
Then I typed "p" for primary and "1" for partition number.
I finished by typing "w" to write the table and quit fdisk
But after mounting on sdb1, it was still the first partition of the old
partition table.

Please help me to erase the whole disk into one large partition.

Regards

Stuart G. Clark
Manager,
Spacelink Communications Pty. Ltd.