idle load 1.00 ?

When I boot my RH 7.0 desktop system, the idle load is essentially .00 but
I've noticed that after a few days of use the load stays around 1.00.  I
notice it because xmms breaks up while playing an MP3 (i.e., just like it
does sometimes when the machine is busy).  When I use top, nothing looks
like it is using much system resources except maybe esd using, say, 3% of
CPU, xmms (several instances) using, say, 1% of CPU and X using, say, 12% of
memory.  The states are, say, 95% idle.  Exiting xmms and X doesn't change
anything.

Any ideas why the load would be so high or what I can do to trouble-shoot
it?  Are there any 7.0 packages that are known to cause this sort of
problem?

-Alan