Re: VMWare vs. Win4Lin

Art Ross wrote:

> Bret Hughes wrote:
>
> > "Jon S. Jaques" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Are many of y'all using some sort of Windoze emulation under Linux? I've
> > > looked at Wine, VMWare, and Win4Lin... Wine does the job sometimes, but
> > > sometimes not, so that's when I started looking into the other two products,
> > > but I need a comparison of the two.
> > >
> > > VMWare, I know, runs Virtual Machines, which need lots of power and memory
> > > to keep from being painfully slow.
> > >
> > > Win4Lin claims to be fast, though; potentially faster than running solely
> > > under Windows! Is it native, emulation, or a better Virtual Machine???
> > >
> > > Win4Lin runs only Win98 apps, which would suit my needs, and would make me
> > > happy if it was sort of like Wine, where you don't have to have a whole
> > > version of Win98 booted and running just to run one app.
> > >
> > > VMWare can run NT, though!!! Or even Linux!!! What a cool way to practice
> > > with different versions of Linux installs, eh???
> > >
> > > If anybody has any experience, thoughts, or suggestions on the topic, I'd
> > > love to hear them!!!!
> >
> > I use win4lin very sucessfully.  Won't run Macromedia Flash though.  A bummer
> > since we use it to create flash movies all the time.  Office, Quickbooks Pro,
> > zero problems.
> >
> > All this on a dell inspiton 3500 333 Celeron with 192 MB mem.
> >
> > Bret

> I played with Wine till it drove me crazy, but now run VMware exclusively.   I
> haven't used Win4Lin but hear it is a very nice produce.  As for VMware, I am
> presently using VMware 2.0.2 and have no problems.  It permits you to have
> several virtual machines running simultaneously.  Of course, the number depends
> upon the processor power and memory you have.  The product permits you to
> manually manage your memory for each virtual machine.  You can setup a closed
> network between all of your host (Linux or Windows) and all virtual machines.
> This is called a host-only network.  Also, you can setup your virtual machines on
> a bridged network which permits these virtual machines to appear on the same
> network as the host.  This is the method I use.  It permits you to access all
> shared areas and/or printers on the host, virtual machines or other physical
> machines.
>
>   VMware 3.0 is due to be released sometime before January 2002.  It works with
> all the Windows platforms.  Since I instruct Linux and networking basics, I use
> VMware to expand the student's experiences with managing multiple machines on a
> network.

Apparently VMware 3.0 has been released.  I just got my new key and a link
to the released version (Build 1455 - 11/05/01).  I've been using the beta
and it seems to be even slicker than the 2.0 release.

>   I'm very pleased with VMware.  This doesn't mean that Win4Lin is bad.  It's
> just my preference.  When time permits I'll have to evaluate it.  As for pricing
> VMware 2.0.2 cost us $99.00 with the academic discount.  Otherwise, I think it
> runs over $200.00.

Best

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:
CSC (formerly Mynd)              Work - cokeydepercin mynd com
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - fdepercin sc rr com