Re: RH 7.2 rpm install via ftp?

At 11:07 AM 11/9/2001 -0700, you wrote:
The problem you are facing is that RPM cannot always glob filenames from
wildcards. When you do rpm -i *.rpm from a command line, assuming you have
the files pkg1.rpm, pkg2.rpm and pkg3.rpm in the current directory, rpm
doesn't see the *.rpm, it sees:

rpm -i pkg1.rpm pkg2.rpm pkg3.rpm

The shell expands it for you. Try doing this in the same environment:
rpm -i \*.rpm, and rpm will report:
error: cannot open file *.rpm: No such file or directory

Same for FTP. If it ever worked, your remte FTP site had  a ftp daemon that
would interpret *.rpm and return all the rpm files. They may have changed
config/daemons/something so it doens't work now.

The remote FTP site is, in fact, another computer in our department. That computer now has online distributions for both RH 7.1 and RH 7.2. A 7.1 kickstart installation, using exactly that same remote, installs the packages without problems, using the wildcard syntax. Hence, I don't see how this problem could be tied to the FTP daemon on the remote.

Either way, the best fix is to fix your postinstall and install the packages
explicitly. You can do it all on the same commandline, but you need to
explicitly each file to be installed.

Yes, I guess that's what we'll do, but I still don't understand why that's necessary.

Thanks.

- Mike

Michael Hannon            mailto:hannon physics ucdavis edu
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966
University of California  530.752.4717 FAX
Davis, CA 95616-8677