Newbie Problems and Questions - Kernel Source Installation

HI all,

Am new to Linux and battling to get my modem working. I have some instructions that tell me I need to install the kernel source and then set up things with it.
It is totally confusing me at the moment. What exactly do I need to download for this?

I would really appreciate it if someone could contact me off list and talk me though this one.

Alex